Thoughts so far

Wagruk

Thoughts so far

Postby Wagruk » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:25 pm

The game is a joy to play! I was hyped for it ever since I saw an earlier build trailer of its gameplay. The ship's controls and enemy AI were the main reasons I started looking forward to Galak-Z's release and as soon as the pre-order option showed up on the PS Store I got it. The news that the ship could transform into a mech blew me away and only made me happier that I'd be getting the game soon. Now that it has been released, I can say without a doubt that it lived up to the hype!

I'm currently at season 3. Can't wait for more content for the game in the form of new game modes, levels, seasons, enemy types, weapon modifiers, ships, and ship transformations (I can dream, right?). Hope you support this game for a long, long time and charge reasonable prices for any eventual DLCs.

SirIsaacNewbton

Re: Thoughts so far

Postby SirIsaacNewbton » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:37 pm

I agree! I got to play it a PAX East earlier this year and have been excited ever since. I'm still only on season 2 and despite the numerous (NUMEROUS) deaths, I can't stop playing. Such amazing game design at work.

kratier

Postby kratier » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:19 pm

my thoughts so far is that its buggy and hitchy and lags randomly , even just the cutscenes at end of season 1 and start of season 2 was hitching randomly for no reason.

dont understand why it performs so badly when i can play way more demanding games on ps4 with no issues, i think ill wait to finish this game after its gotten patched a week or so from now

SirIsaacNewbton

Postby SirIsaacNewbton » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:04 pm

@kratier - It could be any number of things. One script could lag out a game if there's a small logic loop that the game is running ad nauseum. Debugging is a timely process especially if the problem isn't obvious. Over time, I'm sure the team will find ways to optimize the game.

theologians

Postby theologians » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:35 pm

I am in love with this game. The art, controls, difficulty ramp, and nods to a bygone era are masterfully done.

One thing I really appreciate is the pro/con tradeoffs with every build you end up with. Adjusting for projectile speed, fire rate, and bullet effects requires thought. Coupling that with the finesse required to pilot effectively and you have a very thinky shooter.

The procedural generation is so-so in regards to the feel of level variety, but it does provide a varied enough experience that even running through familiar rooms over and over never really becomes monotonous. A caveat to this is that season finale bosses don't cater to the really emergent gameplay that shines during the rest of the season. (disclaimer; I've only beaten the first two)

My main gripes would have to be the incessant chatter throughout the missions and the horrendous framerate drops when letting off a missile barrage. Thankfully there's an incoming patch for the chatter, but post-release optimization rarely comes quickly, regardless of who developed it. With such a small team who has worked their asses off for the past few years, I'm not expecting that to be done any time soon.

My ultimate wish would be to have a way to release a grappled item without throwing it, akin to when you're carrying a mission item. I'm a huge fan of setting traps with barrels and explosive crates but pushing things around with my nose is often too clumsy to properly set a trap before a patrol comes back around.

All in all, it's a game I see myself playing for a very long time. The possibility of added seasons and astronomical difficulty has me excited. I mean, I rarely join game specific forums, so my being here speaks volumes as to my feelings for the game.

goldbristles

Postby goldbristles » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Loved the game, thought I was disappointed that once you finished season four, that was it (for now). No real incentive to go back and play the previous seasons, at the moment, but a variable difficulty slider would be nice. While I've been following the game intently for the past few years, and the Vita cancellation was a let-down, I'd not seen any mention of there being only four seasons upon release; all the press releases indicated that there would be five seasons, and five episodes per season. I'd really like there to be more difficulty settings, something like a GM-variant mode where instead of an RX-78-ish mecha, you ran around as a general production model where one or two shots killed you. Season one was pretty fun, but I used the mech-mode from seasons two through four, until the Raider King end-boss; had to take out his panelings with the fighter-mode. I'll probably replay it again this weekend, and upon the DLC release, but I'd love to see skins, increased difficulty settings, and maybe zones with more enemy clusters. The best fights I had were when a tonne of bugs, imperials, and raiders all converged on the same spot and chaos ensued.

Stumbles

Postby Stumbles » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:01 am

Great game. Finished season 4 and now I can't wait for season 5. I too am happy to buy future DLC. I'd love to see new enemies ships, a new enemy race, a new map tileset, more ship upgrades, and a new spinoff show with its own seasons/story. Nice work, congrats on shipping. Keep it coming :)

NateDizzy

Postby NateDizzy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:06 am

theologians wrote:My ultimate wish would be to have a way to release a grappled item without throwing it, akin to when you're carrying a mission item. I'm a huge fan of setting traps with barrels and explosive crates but pushing things around with my nose is often too clumsy to properly set a trap before a patrol comes back around.

I would also like this quite a bit.

honkskillet

Postby honkskillet » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:53 pm

I would love to see alternate controls on the d-pad L = counterclockwise / R = clockwise.

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”