Game improvement sugestions

negativeions

Game improvement sugestions

Postby negativeions » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:18 am

Having played Galak-z for some time, I really like it. I can see what you were going for with the rogue-like thing. I think people maybe expected something immediate but got something that requires that you be very careful, have patience and a bit of planning. A quicker, more immediate type of game would have more appeal. Many people don't have the hours it could take to finish a season. Often they just want to "do a quickie", which isn't really possible with this game. It probably would have been better if rogue-like mode was unlocked later after the initial arcade mode.

Other considerations for patch/sequel:

During the course of the first season, I felt over-powered and had a lot of money and coins by the end and I was disappointing to find that in the second season I'd lost all my powerups. I can't imagine anyone testing the game saying, yeah, that's cool, leave that, it's ok that I lose all my stuff. It would be more fun if the player could retain the stuff he worked hard to get. Less powerups in the first season but have the powerups carry over to the second. Adjust levels/enemies/whatever to account for this. It doesn't even really make sense with the story to lose everything in between seasons. How does A-tak account for all the missing stuff in the story?

Ultimately, all that matters is player satisfaction and fun factor. Ultimately forcing the player to play through the entire game perfectly is just annoying. Arcade mode is a welcome addition to the PC version. Didn't see it in the PS4, thought it was gonna be there.

Another thing is, it would've been awesome to see a more "zelda-like" or "MIyamoto-style" In that when you get a powerup have them be useful for a specific situation that is coming up sometime later. For example the deflection beam can maybe be used on a turret-type enemy that is attached to the edge of a rock formation that can't be killed because he always faces your ship and has an indestructible shield or something. The only way to kill him would be to deflect your shot so it hits him in his side. Also have the power ups hidden better and have them be guarded by some difficult enemy. Maybe this is done more so in the later seasons but it would've been nice to see it early on as well. Also allow the player to switch between power ups mid-game would be nice depending on the situation they're in.

Maybe some of these suggestions are quite ambitious for such a small team? In any case, congrats on 17-bit and I really hope the game sold well and hope there will be a sequel same day and as it stands I like the game. But I REALLY wanted to LOVE it. I hope to see more of Galak-z in the future.

VirtualAaron

Re: Game improvement sugestions

Postby VirtualAaron » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:55 pm

I agree with this. I was having a great time during the first season. I was learning the game and the controls. I died a few times but collected all the chests, upgrades, credits, and coins. Then the second season started and I was excited to start until it finally got started with the game play. My ship was stripped of all of the upgrades and the enemy types were still the same as in the later levels of season one, making the game more frustrating. Not to mention, once I died I didn't have any credits to buy anything for my ship. This needs to change because I can see myself not going back to this game if it doesn't.

Dianne R. Negrete

Re: Game improvement sugestions

Postby Dianne R. Negrete » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:32 am

negativeions wrote:Having played Galak-z for some time, I really like it. I can see what you were going for with the rogue-like thing. I think people maybe expected something immediate but got something that requires that you be very careful, have patience and a bit of planning. A quicker, more immediate type of game would have more appeal. Many people don't have the hours it could take to finish a season. Often they just want to "do a quickie", which isn't really possible with this game. It probably would have been better if rogue-like mode was unlocked later after the initial arcade mode.

Other considerations for patch/sequel:

During the course of the first season, I felt over-powered and had a lot of money and coins by the end and I was disappointing to find that in the second season I'd lost all my powerups. I can't imagine anyone testing the game saying, yeah, that's cool, leave that, it's ok that I lose all my stuff. It would be more fun if the player could retain the stuff he worked hard to get. Less powerups in the first season but have the powerups carry over to the second. Adjust levels/enemies/whatever to account for this. It doesn't even really make sense with the story to lose everything in between seasons. How does A-tak account for all the missing stuff in the story?

Ultimately, all that matters is player satisfaction and fun factor. Ultimately forcing the player to play through the entire game perfectly is just annoying. Arcade mode is a welcome addition to the PC version. Didn't see it in the PS4, thought it was gonna be there.

Another thing is, it would've been awesome to see a more "zelda-like" or "MIyamoto-style" In that when you get a powerup have them be useful for a specific situation that is coming up sometime later. For example the deflection beam can maybe be used on a turret-type enemy that is attached to the edge of a rock formation that can't be killed because he always faces your ship and has an indestructible shield or something. The only way to kill lord of the ocean slot play online for free him would be to deflect your shot so it hits him in his side. Also have the power ups hidden better and have them be guarded by some difficult enemy. Maybe this is done more so in the later seasons but it would've been nice to see it early on as well. Also allow the player to switch between power ups mid-game would be nice depending on the situation they're in.

Maybe some of these suggestions are quite ambitious for such a small team? In any case, congrats on 17-bit and I really hope the game sold well and hope there will be a sequel same day and as it stands I like the game. But I REALLY wanted to LOVE it. I hope to see more of Galak-z in the future.

I like your ideas ;)
WARNING: I have an attitude and I know how to use it!

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”