Nintendo Switch Game-Breaking Bug

dhofford01

Nintendo Switch Game-Breaking Bug

Postby dhofford01 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi all,

I'm writing in regards to a specific issue that is affecting the newly released version of Galak-z: The Void on Nintendo Switch. I will go ahead and mention that this is happening to me on version 1.0.0 (the initial launch version I would assume).

First, let me start by saying that I absolutely love this game, and as far as gameplay goes, it scores top marks from me in all aspects, and I consider it to be one of my top picks for roguelikes, right up there with Dead Cells and Everspace. Having said that, this issue that I'm running into is consistent and completely breaks the game in my opinion, and is something that needs to be addressed as soon as possible, so I am here in the hopes that one of the developers or an admin who can get in contact with the devs will read this and get a fix in the works as soon as possible.

I don't know if this will have anything to do with the issue or not, but to cover all my bases I want to go ahead and mention that every time I've played the game so far, I am playing it in handheld mode only on my Switch. So, basically what is happening is that on every run I attempt, my game is completely crashing in random places. I'll be playing on a run, not having any issues, then seemingly out of nowhere, my session just instantly stops, and goes to the black screen that just says "an unknown error has occurred", prompting you to hit the "Okay" button, which then closes the app and takes you back to the home screen. I have tried over 20 different runs, and it has crashed just like this on me all 20ish times, giving it a 100% failure rate. Most of the time I was on level 1-3 when it crashed like this, but 3 times it occurred to me I was on level 1-4, and one time, being the latest time, I had actually made it all the way to 1-5 and had literally just beaten the worm boss, when it just crashed 2 seconds later. Every time it does this, when I try to restart the app, it starts me back over at the very beginning of the game. Since I can't even make it to the first save point after 1-5, it has literally made the game unplayable for me at this point, thus being a game-breaking bug in my opinion. I should also state that I am playing the "rogue" difficulty level each time on my runs.

At this point, it has become so frustrating that I just can't continue trying to even attempt playing the game, as I know it's just going to crash on me again, leaving me even more frustrated. Which is extremely disappointing, as I REALLY enjoy the game otherwise, and would be playing it non-stop if this crash bug didn't exist. I have not heard of any other people that reported this yet, but I also haven't really found many other people that are playing it on the Switch, so I have nothing else to compare to.

I am to the point where I just really want to hear from the developers on this, and it would mean a great deal to me if someone would reply back to me on this topic and look into fixing it. Can someone please help? Thank you.

Leastweasel

Re: Nintendo Switch Game-Breaking Bug

Postby Leastweasel » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:12 pm

Chiming in on this in the hopes of signal boosting - there are a LOT of crashes on the Switch version - seemingly most occur when I’m using either particle shot or plasma core in any combination. I absolutely love this game, but I’m hoping there will be some sign that these issues will get fixed - it really hurts the roguelike structure to frequently lose a good run to a system crash.

I’ve had good success by simply avoiding particle shot - but I would love to eventually get to experiment with different loadouts without fear of crashing.

dhofford01

Postby dhofford01 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:52 pm

Leastweasel,

Thanks for the reply! I actually had sent Zach @ 17-Bit Studios a direct email as well regarding this issue, and just got a reply back. He also informed me that they were experiencing the same crash problems and hearing reports of it from others just as well, and told me that they are working right now on getting a patch out for it as soon as they are able. He additionally asked me specifically what loadout I was using, and informed me that from their end it seemed like the Plasma Core upgrade was what was causing the crashes. Luckily, I had started a new file on Arcade mode earlier this week, and was still encountering the crashes every time I tried to play it, but fortunately I did manage to make it all the way to level 1-5 on this Arcade mode run, which as I'm sure you're aware, actually saves your progress after each level instead of just after every season, and I was in the fortunate position of not having the Plasma Core equipped in my loadout, but it was one of the Shop upgrades available for me to purchase at the beginning of my run every time I started level 1-5 on this save file. I had been encountering that same crash every time i tried to play this run on level 1-5, sometimes before the White Tusk bossfight, sometimes during, and a couple times I had even beat him but it still crashed on me immediately afterwards, causing me to yet have to restart the level all over again. HOWEVER, after reading Zach's email reply to me I thought about what I had been doing, and realized that I had kn fact been purchasing that Plasma Core upgrade from the Shop every time I tried playing 1-5 on that file before going out on my runs.
So, I decided I would pick the game back up, but that this time I would specifically try the same run on 1-5, but that I would specifically NOT buy the Plasma Core upgrade, and once I did that, I was able to clear out all the enemies in that level, beat White Tusk, and finish all the way to the warp point and complete the level without any issues, for the first time ever! I think that you and Zach are correct, and that it is specifically that Plasma Core upgrade that is glitched in the game, as now that I am playing the game again and specifically avoiding getting the Plasma Core at all, I have not had any issues with the game crashing (knocks on wood).
At this point I would recommend playing the game as I am, and DO NOT pick up or purchase the Plasma Core upgrade at all, and you may actually be able to play the game again, as I have. Again, Zach told me that they are going to be working on this and rolling out a patch as soon as they can, so hopefully we can scrape by for the time being by just not picking that upgrade up, and still be able to enjoy the game.

Leastweasel

Postby Leastweasel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:48 am

Oh, man! THANK YOU for that update re: your email with Zach! That’s great to hear that they’re looking in to it! And yeah, plasma core is a definte culprit, while I’m also leery of picking up particle shot (sad, I loved particle shot). Very much looking forward to seeing this fixed... you’re doing the smart thing running arcade. I stubbornly stay in rogue, even when a stray crash eliminates a methodical, 40-minute run at chapter 4 :p

dhofford01

Postby dhofford01 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:32 pm

Leastweasel wrote:Oh, man! THANK YOU for that update re: your email with Zach! That’s great to hear that they’re looking in to it! And yeah, plasma core is a definte culprit, while I’m also leery of picking up particle shot (sad, I loved particle shot). Very much looking forward to seeing this fixed... you’re doing the smart thing running arcade. I stubbornly stay in rogue, even when a stray crash eliminates a methodical, 40-minute run at chapter 4 :p

Hmm, I'm not sure if I've really had any issues with the particle shot upgrade, but since you've mentioned it a good bit, I'm gonna have to do some testing around on that one and see if I encounter any problems with it as well. It sucks for me, as I really liked that Plasma Core upgrade, so staying away from it is a bummer, but I'd much rather do that than know my game is gonna crash if I pick it up and use it (actually I'm also REALLY curious if it is just crashing when you use it, and wonder what would happen if you picked it up, but just didn't set it as your element core on the loadout screen).
Well, honestly as nice as the Arcade mode was initially for making sure my progress didn't get lost in the event of a crash, now that I know exactly what was wrong, I've since gone back to Rogue mode myself, as I'm a hardcore roguelike player, and revel in the challenge of permadeath. I've been playing it all week now, any time I get a free chance, and since I've been staying away from Plasma Core upgrade, I can say that so far it has fixed everything for me 100%. I've had zero crashes ever since, and am now up to level 2-4, and hopefully will be finishing the 2nd season tonight, and may even try a run on the endless mode The Void now that I have it unlocked. I'm actually super hyped on the game now that I haven't been having any problems, I'm completely loving it! I'm probably the world's biggest roguelike nerd, and this is currently my new favorite over my previous two which were Dead Cells and Cryptark (still both AWESOME games).
I was probably one of, if not the only, person who was super excited for Galak-z to come out when it was initially even in development on PC in Steam, but initially held off on getting it on my PC because they had announced they were going to be porting it over to the PS Vita (I'm also a huge portable gaming nerd), as I really wanted it on the Vita. Then, they ended up cancelling that altogether, so I got real bummed about that and moved on to other games. Years later once the Switch came out and I of course had to get one, I caught wind of them maybe bringing it back to the new portable console, and it got me hyped for it again. So, it's been a long time coming for me personally, to be able to have this game on one of my handheld consoles, and now that I finally got it, and found a way around the crashes, I'm making up for lost time I guess :D

Return to “Technical Issues and Assistance”